After dropping it's cars for pickup by the Maine Central, the power for train ON44 picks up it's caboose and heads for the Northern Maine Junction engine house. GP7 number 61 appears to be fresh out of the shops and this may be it's first run in the tri-color scheme.
GP7 number 73 is still in it's as delivered paint scheme (although it's pilots have been painted silver over the original black) and F3A number 40 exhibits it's second livery in this early 1960's shot at Northern Maine Junction.
Here we see a view of the Oakfield engine facilities in 1977 as seen from the yard tower. The units on the first track are the power for train ON44 to Northern Maine Junction. On the second track are two Geeps for train 211 to Madawaska and the forth track holds two SW9 yard switchers and the power for ON28 the second train of the day to Northern Maine Junction.
The Bangor and Aroostook's freshly painted wreck train waits for a call to duty at the Derby car shops.
Five first generatiom EMD locomotives led by GP7 number 71 prepare to depart Oakfield yard for Northern Maine Junction with approximately 140 cars of woodchips, pulpwood, paper, and frozen foods, and empty fuel oil tanks.
GP7 number 63 was one of the first units repainted in the solid blue scheme in the early 1960's as is evident from the small cab side number. Not long after this photo was taken in 1962, the standard was changed to the large numerals as exhibited by number 71 in the photo preceding this one; and, in time all units were repainted accordingly.
Displaying a fresh coat of paint in very late afternoon sun, 1947 built F3A number 42 leads a five unit combination of F3s and BL2s past Bangor and Aroostook's original office building at Northern Maine Junction. The five units have just dropped off train ON44 for pickup by the Maine Central and are running around their train to get to the engine house.
1950 built GP7 number 71 leads it's 140 car train over the crest of the grade at Dyer Brook. This unit exhibits the early style winterization hatch characteristic of the first batch (numbers 60-71) of geeps. Also note the cones placed in front of each forward facing horn and the nose mounted bell - both engineered to keep out snow.
Originally delivered by Pullman Standard in 1963 in the red, white, and blue "State of Maine" livery, boxcar number 6117 displays a fresh new image as it departs Northern Maine Junction in the fall of 1977.
1952 built GP7 number 73 was painted and renumbered in late1974 to celebrate the nations bi-centennial. Here the unit is shown at Northern Maine Junction about two and one half years after the repaint. This geep was briefly renumbered back to 73 while still in this scheme before being painted in the tri-color scheme in the late 1970's.
The BAR purchased eight EMD BL2 (branchline) locomotives in1949 numbers 550-557. In 1952 they were renumbered to 50-57. In 1979 two of the units 57 and 54, then in the solid blue scheme, were involved in a grade crossing accident and had to be rebuilt. Number 57 emerged from the shops in 1980 with it's as delivered paint scheme and number. It was given the name "American Railfan" and for a year or so served on excursion trains and revenue freight service before being retired. Number 557 is shown here in storage at Northern Maine Junction before it was moved to the Cole Transportation Museum in Bangor where it rests today.
Number 54 ,the other accident victim, emerged from the shops in the then current tri-color scheme and served for a couple of years before being sold or donated for excursion service in Pennsylvania. Number 54 was the only BL2 to receive the tri-color paint and the last active BL2 on the BAR.
More Bangor and Aroostook Photos
Maine Rail Photos Home Page