The BAR's first all steel boxcars were purchased from Magor Car Corp. in 1938 and 1945. These 1932 AAR design cars were in use through the 1960s and most were repainted in the then current "large BAR" scheme as shown above left Originally numbered in the 65000 series the 6 was eliminated in the early 1950s and a few were also renumbered into the 3000 series. The cars were stored during the 1970s although several survived in maintainance of way service as shown by the late 1970s photos above.
Probably the most unique derivative of the 5000 series 1932 AAR boxcars was gondola MWM106 shown in the late 1970s at BAR's Derby Shops.
In 1950-53 the BAR purchased 500 40' insulated plug-door boxcars with charcoal heaters mounted underneath. The cars bulit by Pacific Car and Foundary were numbered 2000-2499 and were intended for potato shipments in the winter and paper shipments in the summer months. Originally delivered in the "State of Maine" scheme, in the late 1950s several of the cars were repainted solid red with a large winged red, white, and blue Bangor and Aroostook shield. In the early 1960s several of the cars were also repainted in the then current boxcar red with large "BAR" scheme. A few of the cars were modified with V-shaped floors and conveyor belts to handle bulk shipment of unbagged potatoes and numbered in the 2500 series. For a brief period in the late 1970s some of these cars were painted in a simple boxcar red scheme and assigned to dedicated service for Great Northern Paper in Millinocket possibly for the transport of wood plup between the Millinocket and East Millinocket mills. In the early 1970s, most of the 2000 series cars were converted to woodchip gondolas in th 3700 and 3800 series and painted forest green with the white triangle logo.
In 1954 the BAR purchased 500 40' boxcars from American Car and Foundry (ACF) numbered 4000-4499. These cars all had a unusual style of end corrugation called "Dartnaught" by modelers and were delivered in the red white and blue "State of Maine" scheme but were repainted during the 1960s into the boxcar red "Large BAR" scheme. A few were repainted with the BAR shield to the right of the door and a small BAR on the left above the number in a font like that used by the New York Central and Merchants Dispatch Transport. During the mid to late 1960s most of the 4000 series were converted to wood chip gondolas and painted in the "large BAR" scheme. The chip cars were repainted forest green with the triangular logo during the 1970s. Although the BAR purchased only a handful of new 40' boxcars from Pullman Standard in the 1950s, It purchased second hand in the early 1960s a group of 200 1947 built 40' PS-1s and numbered them 9000-9199. These cars were the first to be converted to wood chip gondolas in the 3400 series and are represented here by a very battle weary number 3426 above.
During the 1960s and 1970s the BAR operated a small fleet of Fruehauf built piggyback trailers. These trailers often travelled on 50' Trailer Train flats and could be found far from home as shown by the photo above of a Southern Pacific San Jose to San Francisco freight.
More Bangor and Aroostook
Maine Rail Photos Home Page