F3A number 44 arrives with a wave from the fireman at Mosquito Mountain on the Searsport branch to rescue an excursion train pulled by stricken BL2 #54. The photo on the home page shows the train at Searsport after the rescue. Number 44 has been preserved and repainted as Central of New Jersey number 57 by the Tri-State Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in Morristown, New Jersey.
Train ON44 crests the grade at Dyre Brook on it's way south with woodchips for the paper mill at Millinocket. The center unit in the locomotive consist is BAR's Bicentennial unit #1776 the "Jeremia O'Brien".
GP7's number 75 built in 1952 and number 65 bulit in 1950 switch the yard at Millinocket. These units were painted in these colors in the late 1970's. The passenger car in the background is an ex Amtrak coach converted to work train service.
The BAR purchased several EMD SW9 switchers from the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie in 1973. All but three were resold and operated only briefly on the BAR. Number 33 shown here was one of the three that remained and was assigned to Northern Maine Junction.
Number 47 shown here at Northern Maine Jct. in 1962 was one of eight EMD F3As purchased by the BAR in 1947 and was originally numbered the 507. Number 47 was wrecked and completely rebuilt in 1973 becoming BAR number 49.
BAR 49 leads an impressive lashup at Oakfield which will power train ON44 south to Northern Maine Jct. in the summer of 1980. Number 49 was the only BAR unit to have an oscillating nose light and one of only two F-units painted in the tri-color scheme.
The Searsport local waits for orders at Searsport yard in the summer of 1980. Once the paper mills of northern Maine have ordered the number of carloads of bunker C fuel oil needed that day, the local will make up it's train and return to Northern Maine Junction. The unusual yellow second unit is Morrison Knudsen 5001, a GP7 repowered with an experimental Sulzer engine, which the BAR was evaluating with an eye toward rebuilding it's own units in a similar manner. The road chose instead to purchase second hand GP38's.
BAR 62 is an EMD GP7 and is one of the first batch of 12 geeps purchased by the BAR in 1950. Here it leads train ON44 south at Millinocket yard in the summer of 1980. The second unit is BL2 number 557 which was repainted from solid blue and renumbered in it's as delivered scheme in 1980 and named the "American Railfan".
BAR EMD GP7s 68 and 75 lead train 211 for Madawaska north through Smyrna Mills past potato houses and one of the last of the ice refrigerator cars used to haul potatoes.
BAR 77 is one of only 5 EMD GP9s the BAR owned and was purchased in 1954. This 1980 photo shows it painted in a very short-lived variation of the tri-color scheme used from 1974 through 1995. Prior to 1980 the cabs of all geeps were painted solid orange with white numbers. Beginning in 1980 cabs were painted orange above and gray below. The very first few units painted this way received black numbers; but these were soon repainted white as were the numbers of all subsequently painted units.
BAR 87 and 83, two EMD GP38s purchased new by the BAR in 1967, rest in the snow at Northern Maine Jct. Numbers 87 and 88 were the only BAR geeps purchased new with snow plows. When it snowed in Maine, BAR's Russel snow plows were usually added to the front of every train instead of relying on locomotive mounted plows. The nose of number 87 sports a common winter appliance on the BAR - a broom to sweep snow from the walkways!
Two of the BAR's unique buggies (as cabooses were known on the BAR) rest between runs in Oakfield yard. These cars are modified second hand World War II troop sleeper cars purchased about 1946. The BAR's buggies were large because train crews often spent their rest hours between runs in them, because facilities were limited at the railroad's northern Maine terminals. In the background are several ex 40' box cars which have been converted to wood chip gondolas.
More Bangor and Aroostook Photos
Maine Rail Photos Home Page